Friday, December 10, 2010

this sounds like a "last post of the year", but it's not.

some of you have asked about the name change.  i recently updated my blog header and for all you super astute people out there, you noticed that it now says "sharalee prang photography" instead of "images of life".

when i first started out, i wanted to come up with a name for my business that really reflected what i did.  and i believe images of life was just that.  there's so much summed up in those three words...pictures, love, creation, memories, nature...it's all about what i love to do - to capture people in their most comfortable place, a place that's fun and filled with people they love and exudes LIFE.  to draw out real emotions and create art out of them.

as i have evolved and grown and looked to build over the last few years, i've come to a place where i realize it's more than what i do that matters, it's who i am.  for some of you that may sound like a silly/cheesy/late bloomer type revelation, but that's okay.  i want to be someone who is authentic, who people trust and who actually has my priorities straight!  a lovely woman and amazing photographer named natalie once told me, "there is only one you".  and as cliche as that may sound, it's true!  i can't be duplicated.  i am a unique creation of an all knowing God who made me to be totally different than any other creation on this planet.  he's given me gifts and asked me to share them with others.  he's enabled me to love and to create, which is such a sweet deal!

SO, i figured my name needed to reflect those things.  and there is no name that can actually wholly represent me other than my own.  plus, it's way easier to just introduce myself than have to say (in a snooty nasal voice) "i'm sharalee.  of images of life photography.  as if you don't know me."

"why the personal reveal?' you may ask.  well, when i'm taking pictures my clients are in a somewhat vulnerable position and i expect them to open up to me, so the least i can do is return the favor.

i'm also so so so so excited to announce that i'm finally working on an honest to goodness, real life website!  well, I'M not working on it, but the talented joe malleck of malleck design co. is.  i got to take his family pictures last month and am so glad he's been willing to take on this project.  i can't even tell you...i'm really excited.  a dear friend of mine has done a beautiful illustration for me which i'm building the site around.  it's going to be ready sometime early next year, so stay tuned!

to those who have hired me: you've not only inspired me, you've actually helped put food on my table, so for that i am forever indebted to you!  for those of you that are interested in working with me: i can't wait to meet you!  one of the best parts of my job is all the amazing people that i get to hang out with that i may never cross paths with were it not for this crazy business.  and to all who just read because, like staring at a car wreck, you just can't help yourselves: welcome!  i love hearing from you and truly hope that your time spent here is more than a way to procrastinate doing papers or housework (though i fully endorse both those things).  thank you for your support - i'm excited for this next leg of the journey!

p.s. this is not my last post of the year.  i'm just feeling nostalgic and hopeful all at the same time and couldn't help but verbally explode all over the blog.  apologies to anyone caught in the crossfire.)
p.p.s.  we had planned to put out a christmas card this year with all the freakin bizarro family pictures we took on our trip across canada, but here we are at december 10th and no such card has been made or sent, so i'm going to treat you to one of my favorites.  southern alberta bible camp.  day 4-ish?  clearly, 4 days together in a motorhome has already driven us mad.  completely batty.
p.p.s. if you are not already familiar with natalie norton, go now.  familiarize yourself.  i seriously learned (and continue to learn) so much from this woman not only about the photography business, but about how to live.  if you have a chance, go to her envision workshop.  fly, drive, train, bus...get there.  seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment